Indian Ocean Security Report Launch
Time: 11 am Wednesday 20 March 2013
Location: Mural Hall, Parliament House, Canberra
The Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs, the Hon Richard Marles, MP and the former Secretary, Department of Defence Ric Smith will tomorrow launch a major report on Indian Ocean Security in Canberra.
The report, commissioned by The Australia India Institute, based at the University of Melbourne, is the product of an international task force comprising experts on diplomacy and security from Australia and India.
Issues canvassed and recommendations made by the task force include:
- How the region can best respond to China’s increasing power and influence
- Potential partner nations able to work with Australia in building appropriate security policies and institutions for the region
- The threat posed by a significant number of failed and failing states in the region
- The potential impact of sea level change, food insecurity, piracy and competition over fisheries and other resources on security in the region
The editor of the report, Dr Dennis Rumley will attend and be available for interview, along with other task force members including Ric Smith, and David Brewster, a Visiting Fellow at the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, School of International, Political and Strategic Studies, Australian National University. Indian task force member Sanjay Chaturvedi from the Department of Political Science, Panjab University will also be in attendance.
The principal contributors to the report were:
- Ric Smith, former Australian Ambassador to China and former Secretary of the Australian Department of Defence.
- Dennis Rumley, Inaugural Professor of Indian Ocean Studies at the University of Western Australia.
- David Brewster, Visiting Fellow, Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, School of International, Political and Strategic Studies, Australian National University.
- Sanjay Chaturvedi, Department of Political Science, Panjab University, India.
- Timothy Doyle, School of Politics and International Studies, University of Adelaide.
- Amitabh Mattoo, Director, Australia India Institute, University of Melbourne, and Professor of Disarmament Studies, Centre for International Politics, Organisation and Disarmament, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Swaran Singh, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India.
- Siddharth Varadarajan, Editor, The Hindu newspaper, India.
FOR INFORMATION: firstname.lastname@example.org (03) 90358681, 0423951135
FOR INTERVIEWS: email@example.com 0481032731